Improper Input Validation
When software does not validate input properly, an attacker is able to craft the input in a form that is not expected by the rest of the application. This will lead to parts of the system receiving unintended input, which may result in altered control flow, arbitrary control of a resource, or arbitrary code execution.1
Challenges covered in this chapter
|Give a devastating zero-star feedback to the store.|
|Get registered as admin user.|
|Place an order that makes you rich.|
|Upload a file larger than 100 kB.|
|Upload a file that has no .pdf extension.|
Give a devastating zero-star feedback to the store
You might have realized that it is not possible to submit customer feedback on the Contact Us screen until you entered a comment and selected a star rating from 1 to 5. This challenge is about tricking the application into accepting a feedback with 0 stars.
- Before you invest time bypassing the API, you might want to play around with the UI a bit
Get registered as admin user
Place an order that makes you rich
It is probably every web shop's nightmare that customers might figure out away to receive money instead of paying for their purchase.
- You literally need to make the shop owe you any amount of money
- Investigate the shopping basket closely to understand how it prevents you from creating orders that would fulfil the challenge
Upload a file larger than 100 kB
The Juice Shop offers its customers the chance to complain about an order that left them unsatisfied. One of the juice bottles might have leaked during transport or maybe the shipment was just two weeks late. To prove their claim, customers are supposed to attach their order confirmation document to the online complaint. To prevent abuse of this functionality, the application only allows file uploads of 100 kB or less.
- First you should try to understand how the file upload is actually handled on the client and server side
- With this understanding you need to find a "weak spot" in the right place and have to craft an exploit for it
Upload a file that has no .pdf extension
In addition to the maximum file size, the Juice Shop also verifies that the uploaded file is actually a PDF. All other file types are rejected.
- If you solved the Upload a file larger than 100 kB challenge, you should try to apply the same solution here